Latest Dapper Kernel Patch - No Kernel Sources

Scott J. Henson scotth at csee.wvu.edu
Tue Jul 11 20:55:04 UTC 2006

L. Mark Stone wrote:
> I'm a newbie to Ubuntu but not to Linux.
>
> Running Dapper and have now gone through two kernel updates
> unsuccessfully.  Why?  Because Ubuntu does not release updated
> kernel-sources packages concurrently with a new kernel.
>
> As a result, software like VMware-Player is broken under the new kernel,
> until the new kernel-sources packages are released.

I just ran vmware-config.pl(I have vmware workstation
installed) on a system that had just rebooted from the
kernel upgrade and it completed just fine.

Also, I don't know that you need the full source.  When ever
I install vmware on a machine I just execute the following
command.
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

That gets me everything I need to configure vmware.  Also I
just checked and it seems that the linux-source-2.6.15 is
generated from the same source as linux-image-2.6.15-26.44.
  That means that they should hit the archive at the same
time.  Maybe your upgrading off of a mirror that wasn't
quite done syncing yet?