Newbie

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Mon Jul 10 20:58:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 01:23 +0800, Gabriel M Dragffy wrote:
> Karl, it's been nice reading your emails and you made some really
> goods points. I have always been a windows user, I tried Linux about
> two years ago (installed it) and wiped it the next day, I tried last
> year and the same. It just wouldn't work well with my hardware, I mean
> I know it's never going to be perfect but it could at least take me to
> the point of good functionality and then I could use the Internet and
> mail lists to get help in making it perfect.
>
> I suffered years of grief and misery with all versions of windows,
> from the temperamental crashing, viruses, updates and intrusions with
> all the time spent restoring from a backup. This became a way of life
> and didn't seem so bad. I installed Ubuntu about 4 months ago, I got
> the internet working in it and spent hours and hours reading web
> pages, blogs, wikis and forums on configuring parts that didn't work
> well. At one point I nearly gave up. Then I remembered that although
> maybe I have spent three sleepless nights trying to get my sound
> working, how many months of sleepless nights did I have "using"
> windows when the machine wouldn't even boot and I would have to baby
> sit it through the night as it recovered from backup CDs. Not
> forgetting to mention the countless reinstalls of Windows, but when
> you finished installing windows that wasn't half the story. You still
> had to locate a copy of Office, install basic antivirus tools,
> firewalling, spyware, malware, image manipulation utilities. Graphics
> drivers, sound drivers, printer drivers, mouse drivers, keyboards
> drivers, hard drive drivers the list is endless.

My reinstalls for a long time were like this:

Right. Huh, oh! Right. OK, okaaye, huh? Oh well, okay. wait.

Wait. Do something else. Ring a friend. Remember something I was meant
to do but, oh right, the pc's down again. Read an article about the
latest virus threats for windows. Wait. Make dinner, eat dinner, chat
with my wife, play with my son. Wait.

Wait. Wait. Why did I start this after 6pm? Wait.

Ok, right then. Huh, that didn't happen last time... Oh well, Okay.

User accounts. Connect to internet, Windows Update, wait, install.
Reboot. Windows update (again), wait, install, reboot - repeat as
needed, typically 4 - 6 times.

Find Office, install basic antivirus tools, firewalling, spyware,
malware, image manipulation utilities. Graphics drivers, sound drivers,
printer drivers, mouse drivers, keyboards drivers, hard drive drivers
etc.

Go to bed.

oh, the memories

Duncan