Newbie

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Sun Jul 9 17:23:42 UTC 2006

Karl, it's been nice reading your emails and you made some really goods
points. I have always been a windows user, I tried Linux about two years
ago (installed it) and wiped it the next day, I tried last year and the
same. It just wouldn't work well with my hardware, I mean I know it's
never going to be perfect but it could at least take me to the point of
good functionality and then I could use the Internet and mail lists to
get help in making it perfect.

I suffered years of grief and misery with all versions of windows, from
the temperamental crashing, viruses, updates and intrusions with all the
time spent restoring from a backup. This became a way of life and didn't
seem so bad. I installed Ubuntu about 4 months ago, I got the internet
working in it and spent hours and hours reading web pages, blogs, wikis
and forums on configuring parts that didn't work well. At one point I
nearly gave up. Then I remembered that although maybe I have spent three
sleepless nights trying to get my sound working, how many months of
sleepless nights did I have "using" windows when the machine wouldn't
even boot and I would have to baby sit it through the night as it
recovered from backup CDs. Not forgetting to mention the countless
reinstalls of Windows, but when you finished installing windows that
wasn't half the story. You still had to locate a copy of Office, install
basic antivirus tools, firewalling, spyware, malware, image manipulation
utilities. Graphics drivers, sound drivers, printer drivers, mouse
drivers, keyboards drivers, hard drive drivers the list is endless.

Now reconsider: did you really give Ubuntu a fair trial? I ask you to
please reconsider, having read the wiki articles suggested by others,
get yourself the Ubuntu CD and try a fresh install. If the system is
even half working after finishing the installation then Ubuntu is doing
a helluva lot better than windows. Get your network working, and then
you can write emails to us and we'll help you get the rest working.

There are ways to do everything under Linux it's just a question of
knowing what tools you have available and how to use them. I have been
using Linux now for 4 months so I am no pro but things are making more
sense and I have a pretty good idea of the system. It is possible to
make easy backups and deleting is even easier (sometimes too easy!). If
you get the system installed then I know one of us can instruct you on
how to make these possible, even me.

Gabe