Ubuntu is not free.

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Sat Jul 8 15:50:13 UTC 2006

On Saturday 08 July 2006 08:28, meets at free.fr wrote:
> I think it's nonsense to go through so many tiny details to avoid the
> principal problem, which is the respect of the free licenses and the
> spirit of the free software. Why do people think that two portions of
> non free program are good for them ? Why then not to put all the #*@*
> drivers and firmwares that exist in the kernel package too, so that all
> without exception get all work at start ? The thing is not in the
> details... the kernel is not a detail, and yes, all distributions
> package non free software. They are available, but they are not
> installed by default. My only aim is to have theses pointed out and be
> reported so that the developpers think of it. I don't need anything
> else. If Ubuntu is not a real free distribution, I will not advise it or
> interest myself to it anymore, but I would prefer to think I can do it
> without any backthought. All/many would like to have some great distro
> to show and give to their friends, so did I all theses preceeding
> months with Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu... OpenOffice.org,
> Abiword, Firefox, music apps, and so on...
> Best greetings, Joyce Markoll.

You're a brave person but you're never going to convert this
crowd to FLOSS.  If they had the slightest interest they'd
be discussing your ideas rather than indulging in ad hominems.

I wish you the best of luck but I think you'd be better off
switching to a different distro.  We went to Debian but YMMV.

--Mike Bird