iPod / Amarok / Buffer I/O Issues

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 13:56:25 UTC 2006

John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Ylan Segal <ylan.segal at gmail.com> writes:
>

>>2) Untar source archive and create symbolic link (substitute 2.X.X for
>>the appropriate kernel version)
>>
>># cd /usr/src
>># sudo untar --bzip2 -xfv linux-source-2.X.X.tar.bz2
>># sudo ln -s linux-source-2.X.X linux
>

> You don't need to be root to untar (if you are in the src group).
> Otherwise, untar it with root and change the permissions. You
> also don't have to create the linux link.  Linus himself recommends that
> you don't do it:
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/usr-src-linux-symlink.html
> These days, programs that needs to link to the kernel headers will use
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
> (if you build the kernel yourself with the debian package manager, this
> link will point back to the source)
[snip some other corrections]

OK... so I get that I am using sudo too much for your liking and I can
do most of the work without using sudo.

>>5) Compile the kernel (You can use anything you want instead of ylan!)
>>
>># sudo make-kpkg clean
>># sudo make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-ylan kernel-image
>>kernel-headers
>

> Use fakeroot instead of sudo

What is the difference here? Why is fakeroot better? As I said, I don't
now much about kernel compilation and those instructions are just my
compilation of what I found from other (maybe incorrect) sources.

--
Ylan

"The universe is not required to be in
perfect harmony with human ambition"