CJK Chinese Japanese Korean Input Method configuration using SCIMin Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake - testing needed

linuxa ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Jul 4 05:12:49 UTC 2006

I appreciate the detailed and prompt reply Gabriel.

Admittedly, the way I've approached Chinese Input for K(U)nbunt 6.06
was the same as for 5.10, which involved picking the right fonts in
order to get the desired Chinese display going, which would give
preference to say the Firefly Chinese font over the default over that
Kubuntu came with in light of the fact the former was more crisp (could
be an anti-aliasing issue) for all I know.

Perhaps this wasn't the best approach.

I'll do a little more digging on the fontconfig-voodoo facility, and
will update the Wiki (if it hasn't already been done so by then) when I
find something concrete.

Regards

Gabriel M Dragffy Wrote:
> I am running Gnome dapper with en_GB-UTF8 locale. I regularly use

> Chinese input and read Chinese. I have the Chinese language pack

> installed under ADMINISTRATION --> LANGUAGE SUPPORT.

> My system is nothing special and I have nothing extra installed above

> the defaults. A search for fontconfig in synaptic gave me the
> following:

> generic font configuration library

> Fontconfig is a font configuration and customization library, which

> does not depend on the X Window System.  It is designed to locate

> fonts within the system and select them according to requirements

> specified by applications.

> Chinese characters are not rendered correctly until I run the command:

> sudo fontconfig-voodoo -s zh_CN --force

> After logging in and out again - problem solved. This is also the fix

> needed to get fonts going under KDE. It allows all Chinese characters

> be displayed AND prevents them from being heavily anti-aliased. I hope

> you can find what I mention if I can assist you further please let me

> know. I have to say I got all of this help and tips from #ubuntu-cn.

> Regards,

> Gabriel

> On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 08:44 +0100, linuxa wrote:

> > Hi Gabriel, thanks for the feedback. I don't seem to have

> > fontconfig-voodoo installed on my computer, can't seem to find in
> adept

> > either. I did try running

> > dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig

> > But failed to see any options to do with the voodoo.  Could this be

> > graphics card specific command (I'm thinking of the Voodoo class of

> > graphics cards).

> > Also, can you tell me what environment you are running under. e.g.
> KDE,

> > default language: English...

> > Cheers.

> > --