mount options (was: Re: (no subject))

Toby Kelsey toby_kelsey at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 31 16:10:20 UTC 2006

abetterturkey wrote:

> My /etc/fstab line for the floppy currently is as so:
>
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  vfat    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>
> The above allows mounting but not writing.

Try adding an option 'fmask=666' so the line is

  /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  vfat    rw,user,noauto,fmask=666  0       0

You could also set the uid and umask.  To find out how this works, look at
the man pages for mount, fstab and chmod.

The underlying problem is that the user which is being used to mount the floppy
is not the same as the user who wants to use it.  I don't know what is causing
that problem, but you should try to fix it.

Toby