Triple-boot? -- XP Pro/ubuntu [or kubuntu]/Mandriva

john levin john at technolalia.org
Mon Jan 30 17:52:59 UTC 2006

Chuck Mattsen wrote:
> I currently have a dual-boot XP Pro/Mandriva cooker setup, but I want to
> install Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) while leaving both XP and Mdv intact.  I've
> searched around, and see scattered references here and there to
> setting up a triple-boot setup, but nothing [yet] that's dumbed-down enough
> for me, as I tend to freak out when it comes to the lower-level stuff like
> partitioning, file systems, manually modifying lilo, etc.
>
> Anyone have a pointer/URL to a decent, basic walk-through for setting up a
> triple-boot? (Keeping in mind that my skills and knowledge are rather limited
> and basic.)  FWIW, if it helps point me in the right direction, my current
> disk usage/setup is:
>         hda1    NTFS            XP Pro          14 GB
>         empty   unformatted     empty           9.7 GB
>         hda5    ext3            / (Mandriva)    5.8 GB
>         hda6    swap            swap (")        499 MB
>         hda7    ext3            /home (")       6.5 GB

Just boot from the Ubuntu install cd, taking care to read the screen
when it comes to partitioning. There should be a 'use empty space'
option, and that's where Ubuntu will install itself. I believe it will
also spot and use the swap partition (as swap, natch), and should detect
the Mandriva install, although I can't vouch for that. It'll certainly
find the WinXP partition. (The only time I have had two linux installs
on one drive was dual booting dapper and breezy.)

You may want the two linuxes to share the home partition, although 9.7gb
is more than enough for ubuntu with kde and lots more besides, if you do
that.

HTH

John