Triple-boot? -- XP Pro/ubuntu [or kubuntu]/Mandriva

Chuck Mattsen mattsen at arvig.net
Mon Jan 30 18:22:05 UTC 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 11:52, john levin wrote:
jl> Just boot from the Ubuntu install cd, taking care to read the screen
jl> when it comes to partitioning. There should be a 'use empty space'
jl> option, and that's where Ubuntu will install itself. I believe it will
jl> also spot and use the swap partition (as swap, natch), and should detect
jl> the Mandriva install, although I can't vouch for that. It'll certainly
jl> find the WinXP partition. (The only time I have had two linux installs
jl> on one drive was dual booting dapper and breezy.)

I guess the main question here is:  If it becomes apparent at that point
(partitioning) that Ubuntu is going to make a change that I don't approve of,
can one still easily back out then and no damage done?  Or have any
potentially annoying changes taken place already at that point?  I'm assuming
the prior, but not having Ubuntu/Kubuntu experience beyond playing with the
LiveCDs, thought I'd better doublecheck.

jl> You may want the two linuxes to share the home partition, although 9.7gb
jl> is more than enough for ubuntu with kde and lots more besides, if you do
jl> that.

Well, ultimately, I want to wipe the Mandriva install, once I have
successfully migrated my main apps and data to Ubuntu/Kubuntu.  In the
interim, though, would there not be potential conflicts having two active
distros sharing the same /home data?

Thx.

Chuck MATTSEN / Mahnomen, MN, USA / mattsen at arvig.net
Mandriva Linux release 2006.1 (Cooker) for i586
kernel 2.6.12-13mdk-i686-up-4GB / RLU #346519
Random Thought/Quote For This Message:
     Thanks to TV and for the convenience of TV, you can only be one of two
kinds of human beings, either a liberal or a conservative. -Kurt Vonnegut,
"Cold Turkey", In These Times, May 10, 2004