Default root password

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 02:48:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-26-01 at 13:18 +1100, James Gray wrote:
> No wanting to be rude....just wanting people to STOP ASKING THIS QUESTION :)

The appropriate way to stop (or, rather, slow down) people asking that
question is for the installer to mention the whole root/sudo thing when
the user account and password are entered.  And for some important notes
about where Ubuntu differs from other systems to perhaps pop up the
first few times a new installation logs in (with, perhaps, a check box
to say "I know, dammit, stop telling me!").

But of course it's far more productive to tell newcomers that they're
idiots for not knowing something, isn't it?  To tell newcomers that
their legitimate questions about how Ubuntu differs from practically
everybody else in the computing world are unwelcome.  It fosters that
sense of openness and welcome in Ubuntu's community that is so often
crowed about loudly here.

Ubuntu: Linux for human beings.  And if you don't like or understand it
you're obviously subhuman.

> (Guess who was up all last night fixing a problem at work? :P)

Guess who was up all night trying (and failing) to get Ubuntu to produce
sound?

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn