Third ask: Breezy won't install

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Fri Jan 20 12:56:59 UTC 2006

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> Third time I've asked this, please, anyone out there?
>
> When trying a new install on an old 450Mhz PII after install when I
> take out the disk and rebootit looks fine until 71% where it just
> stops responding on "configuring xserver-xorg". Just no response.
>
> I've seen this before and thought I'd try with acpi=off but that didnt
> help.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Duncan

Hi,

Gnome is more than likely a little heavy for that box.
I suggest you re start your install - this time choose server instead of
pressing enter after the Ubuntu logo comes up on the screen.

When done, log in and try

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

sudo apt-get install gdm

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

now for kicks reboot the box and see what happens

Regards,

Paul