kernels and hotplug

Toby Kelsey toby_kelsey at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 15 15:16:30 UTC 2006

I decided to start testing the unstable Dapper version by installing the
latest kernel.  However when I selected linux-image-2.6.15-12-686
Synaptic informed it must *remove* hotplug as a prerequisite.

It appears that hotplug is required for my current kernels to function
properly.  If I install the latest image, will my current kernels stop
working with hotplug devices?

If this is not just a bug in the dependencies, it seems to show that the
Ubuntu developers no longer try to keep install compatibility between
different kernels.  Is the policy now to only support having one kernel
installed?

Toby