Shared Windows/Linux Drive Problems

Leo Cacciari lcacciari at altern.org
Wed Jan 4 18:34:32 UTC 2006

Il giorno mer, 04/01/2006 alle 02.00 -0400, Ryan Thompson ha scritto:
> I am having problems getting permissions to Read/Write/Execute on a
> shared partition.  I have access with Root but all my other users can
> only read/execute.  Tried a chmod 777 but that didn't work.  Can anyone
> help?

Hi,
 I answered the same question on the italian mailing list a little ago.
That's how I solved your probem.

First, I created a system group which would hold the users which should
be hable to write on the partition (all others will only have read
access):

$ sudo addgroup --system dos

Then I added to that group all needed users, let they usernames be foo,
bar, and xxx:

$ sudo adduser foo dos
$ sudo adduser bar dos
$ sudo adduser xxx dos

Now I edited the the /tec/fstab file, replacing the 'default' in the
entry for my dos partiton with

   gid=dos,dmask=0002,fmask=0113

That will have the following effect:

1. all files and directories in the partition will belong to user root
and group dos;

2. all directories in the partiton will have permissions 774 (i.e. rwx
for root, rwx for dos member and r-x for all the others);

3. all files in the partition will have permission 664 (i.e. rw- for
root, rw- for users in the dos group and r-- for all other users)

Hope that helps

--
Leo "TheHobbit"