Alternatives to ubuntu?

Filip Svendsen filipncs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:37:17 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, J.Markoll <j.markoll at free.fr> wrote:
> What are your needs ? do you use video ? do you have a swap partition ?
> How does it react when using apps but not connecting on internet at same
> time ?
> btw : firefox is a navigator, not a GUI: gui is a graphic user
> interface, the type of layer that's over the system, if I can explain
> that way ?
> Best greetings, J.M
>
> Filip Svendsen a écrit :
> > I have 512 MB ram, but if I thought ram would help on the sluggishness
> > I'd probably get more. But I still have sluggishness when top says I
> > have plenty of free ram.

> >>I happened to have performence trouble, that were finally due to bad
> >>connecteurs. I changed the wires, and that was it. Another time I did a
> >>cleaning on the CD device lens.
> >>Sometimes one has such problems because of too little RAM.
> >>Filip, do you have less than 128 Mo on your muchine ?
> >>Graphic environment : you don't like Gnome, try Kde, or Xfce4.2 or Ion3
> >>or BlackBox, or Fluxbox, or Ratpoison, (I don't remember the others)...
> >>:)
> >>Best greetings, Joyce Markoll.
> >>
> >>PS: you can try other distros if you want to. Do a search on
> >>distrowatch.com/
> >>

> >>--
> >>

> > --
> > Venlig hilsen
> > Filip Svendsen

I have 4 needs:
1) Blender, a 3d-modeling package: I have no problems with this, I
compile from cvs. It is at least as fast as under windows, probably
faster.
2) Firefox, obviously for web browsing, but also for tiddlywiki,
(http://www.tiddlywiki.com/), a wiki written entirely in javascript.
This is where most of my problems are, the performance of firefox in
breezy is incredibly poor.
3) Development, (related to blender), no problems at all. I use gvim,
it works fine and is very fast.
4) An assortment of Gnome tools, nautilus and so on. These are slow,
but I don't use them enough for it to really be a problem.
5) skype... (which I can get to work, barely. Are their any *working*
voip programs for linux?)

So the problem here is really firefox, it is so bad that I close it
the second I'm done with it, because it keeps slowing down my computer
even when I'm not using it.

Could there be a problem with the firefox in breezy? Should I try
building my own?
--
Venlig hilsen
Filip Svendsen