GNU Java vs. Sun Java: What's the difference, what is better?

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 06:51:55 UTC 2006

On 12/23/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/12/06, Martin Marcher <martin.marcher at openforce.com> wrote:
> >
> > Am 22.12.2006 um 20:01 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> >
> > > What are the differences between the GNU and Sun Javas? I know that
> > > Sun invented Java and that it was just made open source. But what I
> > > need to know are what are the differences from a user's perspective?
> >
> > referencing your next sentence you are not a normal user (university
> > work) most users don't even know what java is. And if your university
> > expects you to do homework/seminar/whatever work in java, save
> > yourself the hassle and use Sun's java.
>
> Oh, university work is not considered normal? I didn't think so, either :)
> I think that most people do in fact know what java is, at least those
> who know what a mouse is, and what Firefox is. I don't consider the
> uneducated-and-don't-want-to-learn as normal users.

We're the same, I'm also working on a university OS project, this is serious
stuff and it's really BIG! around 300+ campuses will use it, and ~10 million
students. I really prefer to use GNU Java, but It just doesnt' work
out-of-the box, there's too much debugging info, warnings and errors for a
normal applet. Does Sun allow sun-java-jdk to be shipped in distros? It's
one of the question that is really bothering me. After the OS project, we'll
be introducing new programming languages in the curriculum, and Ruby,
Python, GTK+ is in #1 priority. For now, I need to finish this OS work, or
I'll go to jail for contract reasons.. seriously..