Rhythmbox : need help with music sharing...

Matthew Nicholson sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Wed Dec 20 21:52:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 22:40 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope someone knows better than me and can help :-)
>
> I have been using Edgy for a couple months now, but it's somehow only
> today that suddenly I am hit with this problem:
>
> RB shows me "remote" play lists in the side bar ! I understand that
> there is a "share music" feature in RB, which allows one to make his
> play list available to others on his LOCAL network for convenience,
> but in my case, I don't have a local network, I am just simply connected
> directly to the internet, and the play lists I see are from people I
> have never heard of and are probably at the other end of the world
> from me. I don't know how RB manages to pick these people's play list,
> but I would rather it to stop, anyone know what could be wrong where,
> and the cure ?

> I understand Linux is building a framework (is it this
> "avahi/zeronconf" thing I keep hearing about ?) to easily share and
> discover various services on your LOCAL network, which I found marvelous
> feature and usability wise, but if it is flooded/polluted with millions
> of stranger's computer services from all over world, it will be quickly
> rendered useless....

Well, avahi/zeroconf, as i understand it, will only broadcast to/look
for services on, you "local" subnet. So, in my home network, my ip
scheme is 192.168.15.*, so, even if I have a system right next to my
desktop, if it doesn't have a 192.168.15.* ip (let say i gave it a
192.168.240.* address), they "shouldn't" be able to see each other with
avahi/zerconf.

Since most users are set up this way, instead of being directly
connected, people only see things "around" or "near" , at least in terms
of the network layout.

I would guess , since you are "directly" connected, you are picking up
people running iTunes/rhythmbox etc else where on the network (your
ISP's most likley) that are within the same subnet as you...

> I went to System->Administration->services, and disabled two services
> (Avahi and xinetd) that according to their description appeared to be
> related to networking and services. But somehow RB still manages to
> find remote play lists from complete strangers on the web.

I would go to System->ADministration->Networking, click on the General
Tab, and uncheck the "automatic service discovery" checkbox.

Also, if you have a firewall/router, you should be able to block
whichever port DAAP traffic is on (i don't remember off hand)

oh, also if by chance you have wireless, you could be picking up people
on the same AP as you...