Rhythmbox : need help with music sharing...

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Dec 20 21:40:01 UTC 2006

Hello,

I hope someone knows better than me and can help :-)

I have been using Edgy for a couple months now, but it's somehow only
today that suddenly I am hit with this problem:

RB shows me "remote" play lists in the side bar ! I understand that
there is a "share music" feature in RB, which allows one to make his
play list available to others on his LOCAL network for convenience,
but in my case, I don't have a local network, I am just simply connected
directly to the internet, and the play lists I see are from people I
have never heard of and are probably at the other end of the world
from me. I don't know how RB manages to pick these people's play list,
but I would rather it to stop, anyone know what could be wrong where,
and the cure ?

I understand Linux is building a framework (is it this
"avahi/zeronconf" thing I keep hearing about ?) to easily share and
discover various services on your LOCAL network, which I found marvelous
feature and usability wise, but if it is flooded/polluted with millions
of stranger's computer services from all over world, it will be quickly
rendered useless....

I went to System->Administration->services, and disabled two services
(Avahi and xinetd) that according to their description appeared to be
related to networking and services. But somehow RB still manages to
find remote play lists from complete strangers on the web.

Clueless user's seeking help ! ;-)

--
Vince