Latest Updates

Anthony Gardner cyclewood_ltd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 16:03:06 UTC 2006

this is my last top post on the subject. (never been asked to stop that b4 but whatever)

if ubuntu could come up with a common update / package manager that behaves the same on all distos  ... kudos. I'd use it ........ you don't have to.

sorry if i've upset anyone with this post and, just an aside, i doubt if i'll be going to any parties where we stand around talking/joking about the diff between pkg managers on ubuntu.

Adriano Varoli Piazza <moranar at gmail.com> wrote: (Aside: you keep on top-posting. Kindly, stop).

On 12/15/06, Anthony Gardner  wrote:
> I understand what both of you are saying but you're missing the point that
> I'm trying to make.
>
> I personally use the command line so this discussion doesn't bother me
> ............ but not everyone does.
>
> My main point is, why does update-manager tell me things that adpet doesn't.

update-manager tells you different things because it's not the same program.

> whatever distro you use, the info it tells us should be the same. So, if I

This is a nice joke to tell at parties, thanks for it. Yes, in an
ideal world, KDE, GNOME and other programs _should_ give you the same
information. However, implementation details aren't ideal, and
sometimes don't.

> use update-manager on kubuntu, it shouldn't be telling me that linux-headers
> are unauthenticated. The same engine should be used by all *ubuntu distros
> and by all means have a different gui for whatever DM you use.

The same engine _is_ used by all 'buntus: apt-get. The
"unauthenticated repositories" doesn't appear because it's created by
the GUI, it's something apt-get passes to the GUI, unless they've
managed to seriously fsck up things in Kubuntu (don't use it, can't
tell) and implement YAPM. I doubt it, since AdePT rings a faint "apt"
bell. That the GUI decides whether to tell you or not is quite another
thing.

Are you sure it's the linux-headers package that's not authenticated,
and not some other repository there? Because I'd bet it's some
different repo that's showing there, and that you don't have in
Ubuntu.

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar