Old pc faster than ecent

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Fri Dec 15 07:18:53 UTC 2006

Brad Johnson wrote:

> Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy a laptop WITHOUT a 7200RPM
> HDD.

Because it runs hotter and is more noisy than a 5400 or even 4200rpm drive?

Also, a 7200rpm model consumes about twice the wattage than a 4200 or a
good 5400rpm model, e.g. look through the hitachigst.com pages.

Back to OP:

Even if the swap is used, he writes that only 145 of his 256 MB of RAM
are used. I guess that the system pushed something unused into swap to
have more room for buffer caches and the like.

It would be interesting to see what services are running, thus:

Can you please provide us with the output of

ps aux

then we might see, if there really is a resource bottleneck lurking around.

Cheers

Carsten