Ubuntu on a 486?

Adriano Varoli Piazza moranar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:21:37 UTC 2006

On 12/13/06, Martin Marcher <martin.marcher at openforce.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 13.12.2006 um 06:38 schrieb Adriano Varoli Piazza:
>
> > Did my other mail not arrive? It said: running Linux on a 486 is all
> > well and good, but not necessarily the objective Ubuntu has. I'd
> > rather not dilute Ubuntu to gain something that runs everywhere. After
> > all, we already have Debian for this. Or NetBSD.
>
> Jumping in here,
>
> I'm curious, what would you (or all the other people) gain if ubuntu
> dropped support for everything under a $CPU_IN_QUESTION
>
> According to that ubuntu could also drop support for those nice
> little sparc boxes it just got certified for. We could drop this
> support that's not the objective of ubuntu, you can run netbsd or
> debian on these boxes....
>
> just my 2 $FAVORIT_SUB_CURRENCY_HERE
>
> martin

Well, the obvious answer would be "the developers Canonical pays for
this would then be able to do something else to provide us with the
best distro on the desktop", or, failing that (it's better to pay
someone to do a job he/she already likes) "Canonical could pay
developers to focus more on their specifical objectives".

Edubuntu isn't Ubuntu, nor are Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Christian Linux (I
don't recall the name, and due to a very interesting
problem^Wopportunity here in Italy, I don't have access to most of the
web), etc.

They all have implicit assent from Canonical, it's all well and good,
but they don't actually get paid. Which sometimes, when you want to
push something off the door, is mighty important.

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar
MSN - GTalk - Jabber: moranar at gmail.com