Booting Ubuntu

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Mon Dec 11 14:55:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 13:39 -0800, e_eagle at charter.net wrote:

> Cant get the Ubuntu CD (ISO burned by me) to load.   Looks
> like Windows XP is overriding!!

It's not Windows that's overriding, it's your computer that's set to
ALWAYS boot from your harddisk, even if a bootable CD is in de CD drive.

This is easily changed.  Note also that this is not related to Ubuntu,
or to Windows.  If you were ever to install Windows again from the
Windows CD then you would have exactly the same issue, and you would
resolve it in exactly the same way, read on:

Just after powering up your computer you will see a message that
indicates what key to press to get into your 'BIOS'.  Usually the 'del'
key, of 'F10'.. In my case it's 'F2'.   Press it. (You may have to press
'Escape' to see this message.

In there you will usually get a menu called 'boot' or 'startup'.  In
there you have to change the 'boot order' to make sure your CD drive is
in the list BEFORE your harddisk.  Or in some cases it's not a list,
it's just 2 devices you can select to try to boot from in that order. So
in that case set your CD drive as the first one, Harddrive as the second
one.

That's it!  Restart with the CD in the drive.

Cheers,
Chanchao