LD_ASSUME_KERNEL in edgy?

Tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Wed Dec 6 15:42:54 UTC 2006

In fact, the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL is really the point. It tell the libc to
disscus assuming it speaking to kernel version X (OS ABI).
However, there has been changes in the ABI from 2.4 to 2.6. At that time
(years ago), i remember several suggestions to use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL,
typically on application that were manually loading plugins or compiled
for older ABI. This was meant to be a temporary workaround, not a
definitive solution. The MaxDB can not safetly assume it's speaking to a
2.4.1 kernel when it is facing a 2.6.17 one. As for the why it works on
dapper and not on edgy, it's probably because edgy kernel is more recent
and thus has dropped old api, or that the shipped libc is mor recent on
edgy and do not support old 2.4 way.

Either remove the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL or stay with the Dapper long term
support.