LD_ASSUME_KERNEL in edgy?

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Wed Dec 6 15:21:21 UTC 2006

Folks;

we're running MySQL MaxDB on several machines (both in production and in
testbed systems), and when trying to get it installed on edgy, so far I
completely failed to create any database instance. Trying to figure out
this behaviour, I found that MaxDB uses LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to work around
several threading-related issues with different versions of the Linux
kernel (see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/maxdb/changes/changes_7.5.00.26.html#DBMServer
to read more).

However, that's not really the point. Comparing dapper and edgy, things
are like that (x_server is MaxDB's core communication server):

- - box #1 (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS):

#> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 x_server update

    12916  XSERVER  Found other running x_server with version 'X32/LINUX
7.5.0    Build 038-121-133-420'
    12926  XSERVER  Version after update 'X32/LINUX 7.5.0    Build
038-121-133-420'

- - box #2 (Ubuntu 6.10):

#> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 x_server status

x_server: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open

What's the point here? Why is this working in dapper and "broken"(?) in
egdy? Did I miss something (libraries, packages, ...)? Anything I can do
about this (besides downgrading my testbed system to dapper)?

Thanks in advance for any hints...
Cheers,
Kristian

- --