Firefox and java question

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 03:27:01 UTC 2006

On 8/19/06, Lorin Pino <ljpino at grm.net> wrote:

> I just got brave and installed Firefox 1.5.0.6 on breezy.  (Installing
> anything outside of synaptic is brave for me!)  I decided to also go
> ahead and install the new java package jre-1_5_08-linux-i586.bin.  I
> used the examples from the how-to's on the sites:  firefox is in /opt,
> and I created /usr/java to extract the binary java file in.  There are
> two plug-ins available in java:  ns7, or ns7-gcc.  I tried the ns7 and
> it works, but I while a looped weather map is loading my cpu is at 100%
> until the image is totally loaded.  So I switched to the ns7-gcc, but it
> caused firefox to crash, so I am assuming that I shouldn't use that
> one.  For the moment, at least, I have gone back to the old plug-in
> (1.4), and it is working normally.  Is this something that others have
> run into?  If so, is there a fix?
> ~Lorin

Hi Lorin,

I do not have a fix to the problem you describe.  I haven't had any problems
with java, though, since I used the script from this web site:

http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/

A number of applications I wanted to use via the web didn't work with the
Blackdown Java version I tried with Synaptic.  I don't know if it is
"ubuntu-users approved", but I only have personal PC's at home and it didn't
take much bravery to use it.  No problemos so far.  The only thing I had to
do was uncheck the "start alsa server automatically" (or some such thing) to
get sound with flash animations.

HTH,
--
http://kimbriggs.com