Firefox and java question

Lorin Pino ljpino at grm.net
Sun Aug 20 02:44:20 UTC 2006

I just got brave and installed Firefox 1.5.0.6 on breezy.  (Installing
anything outside of synaptic is brave for me!)  I decided to also go
ahead and install the new java package jre-1_5_08-linux-i586.bin.  I
used the examples from the how-to's on the sites:  firefox is in /opt,
and I created /usr/java to extract the binary java file in.  There are
two plug-ins available in java:  ns7, or ns7-gcc.  I tried the ns7 and
it works, but I while a looped weather map is loading my cpu is at 100%
until the image is totally loaded.  So I switched to the ns7-gcc, but it
caused firefox to crash, so I am assuming that I shouldn't use that
one.  For the moment, at least, I have gone back to the old plug-in
(1.4), and it is working normally.  Is this something that others have
run into?  If so, is there a fix?
~Lorin