Firefox and java question(solved)

Lorin Pino ljpino at grm.net
Fri Aug 25 01:47:36 UTC 2006

Kim Briggs wrote:
> On 8/19/06, *Lorin Pino* <ljpino at grm.net <mailto:ljpino at grm.net>> wrote:
>
>     I just got brave and installed Firefox 1.5.0.6 <http://1.5.0.6> on
>     breezy.  (Installing
>     anything outside of synaptic is brave for me!)  I decided to also go
>     ahead and install the new java package jre-1_5_08- linux-i586.bin.  I
>     used the examples from the how-to's on the sites:  firefox is in /opt,
>     and I created /usr/java to extract the binary java file in.  There are
>     two plug-ins available in java:  ns7, or ns7-gcc.  I tried the ns7
>     and
>     it works, but I while a looped weather map is loading my cpu is at
>     100%
>     until the image is totally loaded.  So I switched to the ns7-gcc,
>     but it
>     caused firefox to crash, so I am assuming that I shouldn't use that
>     one.  For the moment, at least, I have gone back to the old plug-in
>     (1.4), and it is working normally.  Is this something that others have
>     run into?  If so, is there a fix?
>     ~Lorin
>

> Hi Lorin,
>
> I do not have a fix to the problem you describe.  I haven't had any
> problems with java, though, since I used the script from this web site:
>
> http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/ <http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/>
>
> A number of applications I wanted to use via the web didn't work with
> the Blackdown Java version I tried with Synaptic.  I don't know if it
> is "ubuntu-users approved", but I only have personal PC's at home and
> it didn't take much bravery to use it.  No problemos so far.  The only
> thing I had to do was uncheck the "start alsa server automatically"
> (or some such thing) to get sound with flash animations.
>
> HTH,
> --
> http://kimbriggs.com
Instead of trying to get firefox to use the new plugin directly, I used
the System>Preferences>Java Plugin Control Panel (1.4).  Under the
advanced tab there is a place to put in an alternative path for the java
plugin.  After putting in /usr/java/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7, it
works without maxing out my cpu.
I must not have everything set up quite right for Java 1.5 (I need to
set up a link to it's control panel, and I notice 1.5 does not have the
right path for the newest firefox), but at least I have a start.
~Lorin