Problems with bootable cd's

goatflyer ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Aug 15 11:44:49 UTC 2006

P1: I can't tell from your description what went wrong, but now that you
seem to have solved your boot problems, try to reinstall dapper from the
official final dapper cd.  Also see my questions to you at end.

P2: The .iso files are actual cd images, they are not data files.  the
cd will not boot if you copy them as files.

P3:

I wouldn't recommend using Edgy since its still in developement.  Only
people who want to beta-test it should use it (at their own risk).
Stick with dapper.

P4: Same as P3. Use dapper.

Questions for you:

does your bios have some protection for the MBR? (boot record).  If
so, you have to turn it off otherwise grub won't get installed
properly.

When doing a fresh instsll of dapper (no boot arguments) it will detect
all your previously created partitions and give you choice to manually
set up partitions -- did you choose this option?  (this is the option
to choose to set what type of partitions you want)

What size machine is this?  What kind of graphic card?  How much ram?

--
goatflyer