Problems with bootable cd's

Rene Richard van Hassel r.r.v.hassel at tue.nl
Tue Aug 15 12:47:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 12:44 +0100, goatflyer wrote:
> P1: I can't tell from your description what went wrong, but now that you
> seem to have solved your boot problems, try to reinstall dapper from the
> official final dapper cd.  Also see my questions to you at end.

The boot problem is gone, but then I got a problem with: grub
My system has no other system then Linux, and grub searches for
/dev/hd0 as I remember.
(So I tried the alternate version, but there was the problem of
the ext3 extension??)

(The system, 2 western-digital harddisks, nec cd, samsung flat screen
(172 ??), graphical card ?? (not PCI)

> P2: The .iso files are actual cd images, they are not data files.  the
> cd will not boot if you copy them as files.

Thanks: Indeed that I have also learned. But now I copy these files not
as data files but with an option to write iso-files to cd's, that is the
problem anymore. But still the problem of booting and only a blue screen
with error, not coming any further.

Looking on Google more persons have that problems, also
with Fedora (the first disk of). The last version of Edgy alternate
was going well (only the ext3 options, I don't see it)

> P3:
>
> I wouldn't recommend using Edgy since its still in developement.  Only
> people who want to beta-test it should use it (at their own risk).
> Stick with dapper.
>

> P4: Same as P3. Use dapper.

Oke: but the last version of edgy alternate was booting without
problems!
(edgy desk gives problems)

> Questions for you:
>
> does your bios have some protection for the MBR? (boot record).  If
> so, you have to turn it off otherwise grub won't get installed
> properly.

This protection of the MBR does it have a name or something and
where can I find it?
(in the BIOS I understand, but the place??)

> When doing a fresh instsll of dapper (no boot arguments) it will detect
> all your previously created partitions and give you choice to manually
> set up partitions -- did you choose this option?  (this is the option
> to choose to set what type of partitions you want)

That I have done, without problems. The problem was that starting up
again, the Xserver doesn't work.

> What size machine is this?  What kind of graphic card?  How much ram?
Enough ram 1Gb, the harddisks 2 time 80 Gb. The graphic card???
(On this moment I cann't look in the machine, sorry.)

> --
> goatflyer

thank you.