Problems with bootable cd's

Rene Richard van Hassel r.r.v.hassel at tue.nl
Tue Aug 15 11:05:22 UTC 2006

Hellow everybody,

two days ago it was 13 Aug 2006. I thougtht let I change the operating
system from Redhat to Ubuntu. Result: two days hard working but
no operating system on my PC, at this moment.

Problems:
P1) I had a version of Dapper Drake (6.06) on a CD. (desktop)
The live-version was working well!
I tried to install it, everything went well. But
at the last moment, starting up the PC, it was not
going well, the Xserver is doing nothing. The
command: startx gives no image on the screen.
Question: How to solve that problem?
(If this problem is solved, the other problems have not to
be solved!)

I thought, let I take the newest version of Dapper Drake,
but:

P2) the iso-file (desk and alternate) copied to the CD.
The PC would not boot on that CD, Boot-problems.
The same problem with the first Fedora CD!
PC is starting up, gives a blue screen and then
directly: boot error
(I have no SATA hard disks, but PATA, information out
of the BIOS. I changed enhanced in auto and all other
kind of things, no succes!)
Question: How to solve that problem?

I saw Edgy on internet, but:

Then reading the internet, I saw EDGY the latest version
of 14 Aug 2006, alternate,

P3) The boot problems are solved. New problem I want an
ext3 filesystem and I don't see that choice, making
the partions!
Question: How to solve that problem?

Then I thought, let's take Edgy desk, the newest version:
P4) I have boot problems, with this newest edition
of Edgy. I'm  seeing some blue screen, with message: boot error
or I/O error, directly after starting up the PC.
Question: How to solve that problem?

I want to use Ubuntu, but please let it be easy,

greetings,

Rene'