Doesn't Linux have a decent usenet reader?

Robert E. Butts himco2 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 12 17:06:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 22:10 +0100, marc wrote:
> P.S. As my headers will show, I revert to Windows for Usenet and use
> Gravity. Twice a day I boot into XP for my dose of Usenet updates,
> because there is nothing that remotely touches Gravity in Linux. And
> no, it doesn't run under Wine, but that's not a solution either.

Forté Agent runs fine under Wine, or did through release 1.83.  I
haven't tried it with the modern releases.

If you like Gravity, you might like Sylpheed-Claws for news in Linux.

Using Pan has been problematic for me, too.  What solved a lot of my
issues was keeping a backup Config.xml in the .Pan directory.  When Pan
went berserk - which was about every day - I'd overwrite the borked
config with the backup, and all was well.  Stay away from the later
releases (after 0.14 ..); they are not stable.

I use Pan for text groups, and Klibido for binaries.  You might check
out the latter.  It doesn't begin to compare with Agent for handling
binaries, but is modestly servicable ..