Doesn't Linux have a decent usenet reader?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Sat Aug 12 18:54:44 UTC 2006

Robert E. Butts said...
> On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 22:10 +0100, marc wrote:
> > P.S. As my headers will show, I revert to Windows for Usenet and use
> > Gravity. Twice a day I boot into XP for my dose of Usenet updates,
> > because there is nothing that remotely touches Gravity in Linux. And
> > no, it doesn't run under Wine, but that's not a solution either.
>
> Forté Agent runs fine under Wine, or did through release 1.83.  I
> haven't tried it with the modern releases.

I might have to give that whirl.

> If you like Gravity, you might like Sylpheed-Claws for news in Linux.

No, I lurv Gravity :-) It's only now, when cutting the final strings
with Redmond, that I'm find how I can't live without it - at least a
very small number of features that seem to be totally absent in anything
on Linux.

> Using Pan has been problematic for me, too.  What solved a lot of my
> issues was keeping a backup Config.xml in the .Pan directory.  When Pan
> went berserk - which was about every day - I'd overwrite the borked
> config with the backup, and all was well.  Stay away from the later
> releases (after 0.14 ..); they are not stable.

It's 0.14.2.91 from the repos. I've no used it enough to comment on its
stability, to be honest. I don't think I could use it that much.

That's very unfair of me. I think that Pan is quite close to being very
good, but it misses the point in some critical areas.

> I use Pan for text groups, and Klibido for binaries.  You might check
> out the latter.  It doesn't begin to compare with Agent for handling
> binaries, but is modestly servicable ..

Yup, I've tried Klibido. I don't do much usenet binary stuff, so it will
suffice. However, it is another one firmly planted in "always
connected" land, which makes it close to useless. And it is s-o s-l-o-w.

I guess that usenet software devs never leave their machines and have
never met those of use who travel, sit in airports and on planes and see
daylight. Heaven knows what they do seated at their screens connected
24/7 ;-)

--
Best,
Marc