Macros in OpenOffice 2

Avraham Hanadari rufus at hanadari.net
Fri Apr 21 08:38:09 UTC 2006

Karl Auer wrote:
> Hi Avraham.
>
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 10:18 +0300, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
>
>>>Karl Auer wrote:
>>>In Microsoft word, it's possible to attach macros to keypress sequences.
>>>[...]
>>>I want to do the same thing (or at least similar) under OpenOffice
>

>>Add a German keyboard and the selector to a panel, or learn the
>>keystrokes, or keep a visible keyboard on hand. I prefer the panel
>>selector solution: ß, ü, ö, ä, usw.
>

> Thanks for the panel idea, I've set up a little Umlauts panel with "Ä",
> "ä", "Ö", "ö", "Ü" and "ü" on it, and will try that for a while (I
> correspond mostly with Swiss people, so don't need "ß").
>
> However, I'm not sure what you mean by "add a German keyboard" - do you
> mean physically add one, say via USB? I guess that's an option, but
> pretty unwieldy. Or is there some way to install an additional layout
> over the same physical keyboard and switch easily between layouts?
>
> Not sure about "learn the keystrokes" either - they ain't there to
> stroke, as far as I can tell. Where the Umlauts would have been I see
> square brackets and such, and that's what I get if I press 'em, too :-)
>
> The ideal solution would be a key sequence to press, obviously the
> shorter the better. Having to mouse around while typing is very
> disracting and slows down the typing and the thinking.
>
> Regards, K.

I'm really a newbie, so I hesitate to give explicit directions.

Seems to me I installed a bunch of language support packages through
Synaptic, then I added the Keyboard Indicator via "add to Panel" which
comes up upon right clicking. Once installed, this gives you the option
of selecting among several different keyboards (from the physical one in
front of you). I have German, French, English, Hebrew + Chinese via a
different system. Of course you have to remember that in different
keyboards it's not always qwerty.

There's also something called "On-screen keyboard under "Add
Applications" in "Applications". I don't have it installed, but that
might give you the option of having different keyboards on screen for
special characters.

Keep in mind that spellers need to recognize a text formatted in a
specific language, so if you only pick out the occasional letter, it
won't make the recognition.

Avraham