Macros in OpenOffice 2

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Apr 21 07:52:47 UTC 2006

Hi Avraham.

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 10:18 +0300, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
> > Karl Auer wrote:
> > In Microsoft word, it's possible to attach macros to keypress sequences.
> > [...]
> > I want to do the same thing (or at least similar) under OpenOffice

> Add a German keyboard and the selector to a panel, or learn the
> keystrokes, or keep a visible keyboard on hand. I prefer the panel
> selector solution: ß, ü, ö, ä, usw.

Thanks for the panel idea, I've set up a little Umlauts panel with "Ä",
"ä", "Ö", "ö", "Ü" and "ü" on it, and will try that for a while (I
correspond mostly with Swiss people, so don't need "ß").

However, I'm not sure what you mean by "add a German keyboard" - do you
mean physically add one, say via USB? I guess that's an option, but
pretty unwieldy. Or is there some way to install an additional layout
over the same physical keyboard and switch easily between layouts?

Not sure about "learn the keystrokes" either - they ain't there to
stroke, as far as I can tell. Where the Umlauts would have been I see
square brackets and such, and that's what I get if I press 'em, too :-)

The ideal solution would be a key sequence to press, obviously the
shorter the better. Having to mouse around while typing is very
disracting and slows down the typing and the thinking.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (w/h)