Is a restart REALLY required after an upgrade?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Apr 12 15:53:49 UTC 2006

Andrew Zajac wrote:

> On 4/12/06, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>>  In
>> fact, you won't get it if you use apt-get or aptitude to do your
>> upgrades.
>

> Are you sure?  When I run apt-get, the notification icon turns grey.  I am
> pretty sure that I have installed a kernel via the command line and
> gotten the "restart required" icon appropriately.

Doh.  Of course you're right.  It's not important how the apt cache was
updated.  You need the appropriate notification app running, though.  I do
my updates solely with aptitude, don't run update-notifier, and
consequently it's up to me to determine when I need to reboot.

I can't say I've ever had a problem with _not_ rebooting after a dbus
update - you just don't actually get new dbus functionality until you do,
just like with a kernel update.
--
derek