Is a restart REALLY required after an upgrade?

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 15:12:09 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> I can't quite see where this is going.  You're talking about two entirely
> different things.  In the first place, if you're not running X, you won't
> get a "restart required" notification even if you upgrade a kernel.

I am being sarcastic.  The original question was if a reboot was really
required.  The answer is not that a reboot is a simpler way of restarting
services because "it's so complicated", but that only certain things require
a reboot, namely the kernel and dbus.  I have never heard of a package that
starts a service which then needs the box to be restarted in order to work
properly (other than dbus, which completely makes sense since it is a
low-level hardware communication service).

That would be absurd.

>  In
> fact, you won't get it if you use apt-get or aptitude to do your upgrades.

Are you sure?  When I run apt-get, the notification icon turns grey.  I am
pretty sure that I have installed a kernel via the command line and
gotten the "restart required" icon appropriately.

> Alternately, I would expect there's some sort of API so that the webmin
> maintainer _could_ signal a "restart required" notification if he desired.

I think this is it:
http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/index.php

I would assume there already is a policy about what packages are supposed to
trigger it.  My argument is that there are only a very small number of
things that need to.