Nero CD/DVD burner equivalent for ubuntu?

Todd Slater dontodd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 12:50:44 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Nicolas da Luz Duque <hot_boy at skynet.be> wrote:
<snip>

> I'm sure power users might have good reasons not to use the default
> apps. But here you're advising someone who's obviously new to linux
> (hence his question about a *Nero* equivalent). I even saw one of you
> advising nerolinux which is *not even free software* ! It is so *not*
> ubuntu-spirit !
>
> New users should be advised to stick to the defaults to have a fully
> supported distribution. That way, they'll be able to get all the help
> they need. Otherwise not (especially with non-free software).

I can sort of understand this reasoning, but what if the OP is fond of
the features offered by Nero and is looking for them in a linux app? I
would think pointing that user to Nautilus and Serpentine would be a
big turn off and *that* could be enough to drive them back to another
OS. In any event, we may be fantasizing too much about the intent and
needs of the OP.

I think new users are interested in finding stuff that just works (TM)
the way they expect it to, regardless of whether it's "sanctioned" by
some official Ubuntu watchdog committee. There are plenty of folks on
mailing lists, forums, IRC, etc. that can help with these things.

Todd