Destroying "only" your home directory (was Re: Newbie question on permissions)

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Mon Apr 3 15:46:04 UTC 2006

ma, 2006-04-03 kello 17:42 +0700, Chanchao kirjoitti:
> Hello Ari,
>
> Monday, April 3, 2006, 3:53:30 PM, you wrote:
>
> AT> First I tell people that security is the strong point of Linux. Then I
> AT> tell them that backing up personal files is very important. Next I have
> AT> to tell them that there's no usable graphical tool available for doing
> AT> this in Ubuntu/Linux. (Backing up 1,5 gigs of data every time when some
> AT> of the files have changed isn't usable.
>
> Whot..!   Of course it is!  An external USB drive costs, what, US$ 100
> ? That'll be 40 Gigs at least, possibly 80.

I'm glad Linux developers generally don't have the attitude that when
there are shortcomings in the software, users should go and buy new
hardware.

> Over a USB 2.0 cable, backing up 1.5 Gb would take about.... a lot less time
> than it took me to write this post! :)
>
> Ok, let me Google it up.. For one archive file, you'd get about 300
> MB / second speed over USB 2.0.. So 1.5 Gigs would take, awww, less than 10
> seconds.  There'd be some time archiving as well, but so what, CPU's
> love a good workout. :)

According to Wikipedia
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB2#Transfer_speed ) and a quick search
with Google
USB 2.0 can do 57 megabytes per second at best.

> Yeah, probably.  I hope they make it really straightforward though,
> not try to make it a graphical interface to tar. :) Like with a
> wizard to walk people throught the decision making. I like wizards.
> (Except Harry Potter, the boring little *#@$(#$.)

Be carefull with your words! You don't want Harry Potter fans to put a
spell on your fstab, do you? :-)

Ari