Destroying "only" your home directory (was Re: Newbie question on permissions)

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Tue Apr 4 02:15:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 18:46 +0300, Ari Torhamo wrote:

> > Whot..!   Of course it is!  An external USB drive costs, what, US$ 100
> > ? That'll be 40 Gigs at least, possibly 80.
>
> I'm glad Linux developers generally don't have the attitude that when
> there are shortcomings in the software, users should go and buy new
> hardware.

Sure, me too. With people's personal files of course, if you're into
music & video, that'll be a lot.

> > Ok, let me Google it up.. For one archive file, you'd get about 300
> > MB / second speed over USB 2.0.. So 1.5 Gigs would take, awww, less than 10
> > seconds.  There'd be some time archiving as well, but so what, CPU's
> > love a good workout. :)
>
> According to Wikipedia
> ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB2#Transfer_speed ) and a quick search
> with Google USB 2.0 can do 57 megabytes per second at best.

Depends on if it's lots of single files or a steady big file stream, but
even at 57 MB, backing up 1.5 Gigs will take 26 seconds.  That's a far
cry from old style 'overnight' tape backup systems which take forever,
and then some.

I am *SO* finished with tape.

> > Yeah, probably.  I hope they make it really straightforward though,
> > not try to make it a graphical interface to tar. :) Like with a
> > wizard to walk people throught the decision making. I like wizards.
> > (Except Harry Potter, the boring little *#@$(#$.)
>
> Be carefull with your words! You don't want Harry Potter fans to put a
> spell on your fstab, do you? :-)

Hahhahahahahhahahaha.. :)

Cheers,
Chanchao