Quake 3 in Breezy = no sound and locks hard

Till tillm at optushome.com.au
Mon Sep 26 14:40:11 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this list so go easy on me (:

Here's the error I get trying to run Quake 3:

------- sound initialization -------
Could not mmap dma buffer PROT_WRITE|PROT_READ
trying mmap PROT_WRITE (with associated better compatibility /
less performance code)/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp

Reading around some sites I dug up this command:

As root(Doesn't work as sudo) I type:
echo quake3.x86 0 0 direct > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

which by the way I have no idea what it's doing, but it seems
to work for my session, but the game locks hard after a short
time requiring me to cntrl_alt_backspace to get back to my
desktop:(

I did manage to run the game for a few minutes without sound
and it ran sweet, nice and fast, but then again it locked hard!

I've tried all the usual things like disabling esd and turning
off sound events, but no go.

Anyone have any ideas how I might sort this?

Oh and I'm running the latest nVidia drivers 7676 from nVidia.
My GFX card is an Asus GTX 7800 - Doom3 runs like a charm just
to complicate matters :)

--
Till