firefox 1.0.7-0ubuntu0.1_i386 update error

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Sat Sep 24 16:18:36 UTC 2005

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> sabitha wrote:
>
>> i've got some error too but i can fix that with
>> $ sudo apt-get remove firefox mozilla-firefox
>> mozilla-firefox-gnome-support
>>
>> than
>>
>> $ sudo apt get install mozilla-firefox mozilla-firefox-gnome-support
>>

> I thought i'd try that and got:
>
> username at ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get remove firefox mozilla-firefox
> mozilla-firefox-gnome-support
> Password:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   firefox firefox-gnome-support gnome-core gramps mozilla-firefox
>   mozilla-firefox-gnome-support ubuntu-desktop yelp
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 8 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 3 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 39,8MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
>
> I'm not too happy to remove gnome-core, gramps (which I've manually
> upgraded), ubuntu desktop and yelp. They sound important. Will I be
> able to reinstall them again without problems?

I had the same problem for the same reasons, and got this help:

joschi wrote:

>Hi.
>Thats right, I know the problem too, the package "firefox", that
>conflicts with "mozilla-firefox" is at the backports-archive on
>deb http://acm.cs.umn.edu/ubp hoary-backports .
>I found the problem 2 months ago, at least i'm not alone :).
>
>i've noticed, that the backports-repository contains a package, called
>"mozilla-firefox", too. this one depends on firefox.

Here is how to fix it.

>remove the mozilla-firefox package first. the firefox-packages (and
>probably some others, try to reinstall them afterwards) should be
>uninstalled automatically.
>then reinstall "mozilla-firefox" again, and make sure you get it from
>the ubuntu-security repository.
>to make sure, that this (hopefully) will never happen again, go to the
>synaptic preferences, there select "distribution" above and "prefer
>versions from: hoary-security".
>i hope that helps, for me it worked.
>

>best wishes,
>josef gosch

It did work for me.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c