will ubuntu know my printer?

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Mon Sep 19 16:54:44 UTC 2005

On Monday 19 September 2005 17:44, admin wrote:
> thanks for the reply
> i had looked into turboprint a few days ago
> i'm hesitant in paying for software when the whole idea of linux is for
> it to be free

Yes.  If you're going to pay for linux driver support, it'd be much better to
offer a linux developer the money if they create a driver that *everyone* can
use for free.  There are bounty systems set up for this kind of thing.

> do you, or anyone, know if i can print to the canon MP130 as though it
> were a "raw" printer?
> that is, a generic printer?

That may be possible.  Also, as someone else mentioned, it's quite possible
that you could use the driver for a similar canon printer, that just doesn't
have all the other stuff like scanning (the other functions, similarly, might
work with a different driver).  I guess those multifunction things are mainly
previous printer/scanner/cardreader models mixed together.  No guarantees,
though.

Also, note that new stuff often takes a while to be supported.  Even if it's
not supported now, it may be in future.  Especially if you write to canon,
and ask them to support it on Linux (they do have linux drivers for some
products).

Next time you buy a printer or other hardware, looking for open, established
printer protocols like postscript is a good idea.  Also, look up the
manufacturer's previous dealings with linux, and see how open and supportive
they've been with the linux community.  Of course, look directly for linux
drivers, too :)

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com