Java

Bob Bronson rbronson1976 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 05:29:41 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Cook" <cook.rr at gmail.com>
To: <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 9:25 PM
Subject: Java

> I'm trying to get started programming java, I applied and installed
> the
> basic java package and the SDK (along with any other packages it said
> were
> necesary when I chose those). What do I have to do now to open up the
> actual
> program to start programming
> Thanks,
> Robert
>  P.S. I'm still new with Ubuntu as well so please keep that in mind,
> and any
> help is apreciated, thanks.

You certainly don't *need* an IDE. If you are just leaning Java (or any
new language) and IDE will just get in the way (IMHO). Initially, stick
with a simple text editor. Once you gain proficiency with the language,
then an IDE can be an asset.

To know that you have java installed correctly you should be able to go
to a command line and type "java -version", assuming the java
executable is in your path. Personally, I use (and like) Windows better
than Linux so I am not 100% sure where the Java runtime gets installed.
But again, you should check if it's in your PATH by typing
"java -version". If it's not in your path use the Linux "find" command
to look for it.