Are there any decent Peer To Peer clients working on Ubuntu

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 09:29:07 UTC 2005

> 1. I have the folder with Sancho on my desktop, where I downloaded it. I
> noticed after running the "./sancho -b" command that it's not installed
> in my Applications panel anywhere. Does that mean that it did not
> actually install, but just runs as is from wherever it was downloaded
> and untarred to? If it's the latter case, where would be an appropriate
> place to put the files, since I wouldn't want to keep an application on
> my Desktop. /usr/sbin?

This is becuse it is not installed sytem wide like the other programs
and you simply run it from the folder. This is fine and will work
without problem. You might want to move the folder to your Home
directory rathder than the desktop to clean it up a bit. You can then
use the menu editor: Applications --> System Tools --> Applications
Menu Editor.

When the window comes up select internet in the list on the left and
press the new entry button.
Name: Sancho
Comment: Sancho P2P
Command: /home/<your user name>/sancho/sancho -b
If you want and icon then click the Icon button, navigate to the
sancho folder and find the icon which will most likely be in there.

When you press ok and close the menu editor your program will be in
the Internet menu

> 2. It seems to be also able to handle bitorrent. However, it says
> "disabled" under the list of P2P protocals. I can't find any command to
> "enable". Is there a module I'm missing?

I dont use sancho but I imagine it may be because you dnt have the
basic bittorrent installed. Sancho is just a front end to bittorrent
so you need it installed too:

sudo apt-get install bittorrent

Once this is done, if you restart sancho it might be enabled.

Tom