About to give up(again) with Linux!

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Thu Oct 27 19:37:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 11:16, Jason Straight wrote:
> I agree with that portion. I find myself sitting at kcontrol modules that
> won't load right all the time because of the sudo hack, amongst some other
> small things that escape me at the moment as to why I need a root pw. Most
> people won't care about those issues anyway - but the way kcontrol acts when
> you try administrator mode is lame.

Foisting the sudo gimick on an enormous collection of otherwise
working software without any thought as to the compatibility
issues was lame.  Newbies who might succeed in administering
their systems through a root GUI will fail when forced to
accomplish the same tasks through "sudo vi".

Hopefully Kubuntu can take the lead and switch to a sane
installation for Dapper, or at least make the sudo gimick
optional.

--Mike Bird