Setup pppoe on install/livecd

Jhair Tocancipa Triana jhair_tocancipa at gmx.net
Sun Oct 23 07:07:54 UTC 2005

'Forum Post writes:

> I've also been pulling my hair trying to figure out what happened to
> my formerly working pppoe setup under Hoary yesterday. Last week I
> had BT'ed both Breezy Live and Install CDs in preparation for
> upgrade and turns out that the Breezy Live fails with pppoe(conf) as
> well.

I had similar problems with pppoe. I solved them running pppoeconf
again. Under Breezy it adds the following lines to
/etc/network/interfaces:

,----
| # added by pppoeconf
| auto eth0
|     iface eth0 inet manual
|
|     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
`----

My configuration under Hoary didn't contain those lines, so seems they
are now critical in order to bring the interface up.

The ppp package went through massive changes in the Hoary->Breezy
transition and, unfortunately, those changes are poorly documented
(e.g. possible regressions, etc.).

Stuff like

,----[ /usr/share/doc/ppp/chanlog.Debian.gz ]
| * Removed patch 057_pppoe-interface-change which was refused by the
|   upstream maintainer. Now users must arrange for the ethernet
|   interface used for PPPoE to be up. (Closes: #279135)
`----

doesn't help users that much :(.

HTH,

--
--Jhair

PGP key available from public servers - ID: 0xBAA600D0