lp0 and wireless problems.

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Oct 21 15:46:19 UTC 2005

I've run into two problems with breezy, one should be simple, the other
is understandably hard.

simple problem:

I'm trying to get a printer for a client to run off of the parallel
port.  Under his other server with Windows it prints just fine.  Under
ubuntu 5.10, not a peep.  Running through the same configuration process
on my laptop with 5.10 at home, everything printed on my printer.
obviously, the next time I go there I will try my laptop on his printers
but I expect that everything will print OK.

I've checked that the printer is detected:

[4294687.479000] parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
[4294687.479000] parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
[4294687.494000] parport0: Legacy device
[4294687.499000] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

the module is loaded

parport_pc             31812  1
lp                     11460  0
parport                32072  2 parport_pc,lp

and I double checked cups to see that the right device is selected.  But
no joy.  I also tried catting a file to lp0 but again nothing.

In my experience, this is one of those things that JFW. what else could
I check?

harder problem:

wireless.  Yea, I hear you running away screaming.. :-)

Using a netgear wg511 card, it is detected, the right drivers (prism 54)
are loaded by a configure wlan0 with the appropriate ssid and absolutely
no encryption on both ends to trying keep things simple.  Through some
magic transformation, wlan0 is transformed into eth0.  I'm unable to get
an ethernet address and even though the lights like the right way, no
traffic.  Not a hint of traffic.

Again, what else can I check?

--- eric