Ubuntu with Bulldog ISP in UK (john levin)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:31:07 UTC 2005

Hi, you're trying to save yourself a few measily pounds at the expense
of lots of headaches. You can pick up full modem/router combos for
_under_ £40 (I did two years ago and it's still humming away).

This allows you to set up your router once and you'll never have to
fiddle with your laptop again. Take your laptop wherever, plug it in
when you're home. No USB mess! And, any guests can just plug in to
your router and you can play network games, they can surf the web too,
etc.

You could even cut down on the cost of your ADSL connection by sharing
it with someone else (your neighbour for instance). Get a wireless
base station for £30 and you're off to the races (not sure what
they're going for nowadays in the UK... am back in Canada now and here
they can be had for $50 CAD + VAT (~£30 incl VAT). All your neighbour
needs is a wireless card and you can ask them to contribute to the
monthly cost of your connection (say £10/mo... in three months you've
recouped the cost of the wireless basestation and it cuts your high
speed bill in half in the long term).

Eric.