ALT-F2 accessing SMB://server/share - Weird quirk.

Max Andersen max at militant.dk
Wed Oct 19 19:12:39 UTC 2005

Steve Kratz wrote:

>Not using simple sharing... Something I just noticed also (at work). I'm
>trying to connect to:
>
>machine: PENGUIN
>workgroup: WORKGROUP
>
>When I first connect, the initial connection comes up with an IP address
>of a domain controller on the network. Seems like SMB://server/share
>does some sort of a broadcast for a domain controller or something - no
>other reason why it'd pull up a test domain controller that I've NEVER
>done anything with.
>
>Once again, hitting escape let me connect to the correct machine.
>
>Weird.

I've had the same problem, and I'm speculating that it first asks the
domain browser, because I got an old NT4 box to authenticate against, lol.

But saying ok without credentials did it for me that one time I needed
it. I loved hoary, having a windows network icon on the desktop from day
one, just browsing the network anonymously until needed to authenticate.

But it might have helped somwhere els.

Sincerely
Max