installing Ubuntu on a machine with only dialup connection

Jerry Gaiser jerryg at gaiser.org
Mon Oct 17 21:12:44 UTC 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 12:18 pm, Vram wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 11:24 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if Ubuntu can be installed on a machine which has no
> > internet connection(just a modem dialup one)?
> >
> > For example, can I get the full Ubuntu on a number of CDs (the same way
> > as one can get Debian)? The computer doesn't have a DVD reader either,
> > but installing one can be considered as a last resort if it helps.
> >
> > thanks,
> > ->HS
>
> I have dial-up and I don't understand what the problem is?
> Unless you are charged by the minute.......
>
> So I installed Warty from CD...
>
> And have upgraded over the dial-up..
>

> OK.. The
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade takes three days... So what...  I was planning on
> being alive those three day anyway....

As another dial-up only user (I don't have *any* access to high speed
internet) I'd like to expand on this. Not only do I have dial-up only, my ISP
drops connection after about 4 hours. I've gotten around this in the past
with apps like XDownload which retries and continues where it left off, if
restart is allowed.

Does apt-get retry? Does it have the ability to continue at the point that the
ISP drops me? Heck, I'm not in a hurry. I've waited over a week to get an ISO
that I *really* wanted.

--
Jerry Gaiser in North Plains, Oregon USA (Zone8a) - 45.6933N 123.0418W