installing Ubuntu on a machine with only dialup connection

Hodgins Family ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Mon Oct 17 17:17:02 UTC 2005

Good morning!

> I am wondering if these packages, the ones not
> already included in the installation CD, can also somehow be downloaded
> separately into CDs (from a different computer, which has a high speed
> internet connection) and then installed on the target computer through
> those
> CDs only.

Two ways I know of to get extra packages:
i) go here http://packages.ubuntu.com/ look for the packages (and
dependencies) you want, download and install with dpkg -i (At least I think
that's the command)
ii) using a computer with a faster internet connection: the most straigtht
forward approach would be for your faster computer (Ubuntu based) to
download the packages of interest via apt-get or synaptic saving the
packages in the /var/apt/cache subdirectory. Burn the cache to a CD. Then
follow these instructions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7455&page=1 starting with message

HTH,

Rob